Tuesday 19 June, 2007

Turn around ...:) for good

Finally, I am settled with one of the career options post MBA.

I want to get into “IT Strategy Consulting” post my MBA, particularly into financial services practice.

IT Strategy Consulting may involve following consulting areas:
1) Business value of IT
2) ROI
3) Various sourcing models
4) Post merger integration
5) Risk management


Following are the prominent companies practicing in IT Strategy Consulting:

Accenture
Bain & Company
Bearing Point
Booz Allen Hamilton
Boston Consulting Group
Capgemini
CSC
Cognizant
Deloitte
HP
IBM
Infosys
KPMG
McKinsey & Company
PA Consulting
PWC
Unisys
Wipro

Initially to start with, I was fascinated with I-Banking and other finance careers but good amount of research and introspection finally led me to reject all these options.

Here are some of the reasons for the turn around:

1) I confess that main reason to choose finance and banking careers was money. For me, money matters till you reach certain level of income. Next job satisfaction and work environment matter most. In banking, money is everything. (Bankers won’t care what is happening to your life otherwise. They feel that they can buy emotions and virtually everything by taking your life and throwing loads of money.)

2) Understanding finance well is different from actually working and making profit at hedge funds / trading floor / working on deals in corp. finance. I can understand finance well but I am not good fit to work in that industry.

3) Initially, I was thinking of working in I-Banking for 2-3 years and then shift to hedge funds or PE. Later I introspected a lot to find that this isn't the right move. Anyways if I am going for MBA, I should land up into profile /industry I would like to work in at least for 5-10 years more.

4) If I go to banking, I would waste 4 years in Engg (doing comp sc / IT) and 5 years of pre- MBA work experience in financial software. (9 years is good amount of time to let go waste). If you are in IT and you have worked for 1-2 years, then you can think of total career switch to banking. In that case correct degree to go for is MS- Quant Finance and not MBA.

5) In IT Strategy consulting, I can pursue my both the interests technology and finance.



BTW, Guys I have registered for World MBA Tour that is happening on 5th of July in Mumbai.

World MBA Tour :

Details of venue and timing are :

City : Mumbai
Date: Thursday 5th July 2007
Start Time: 17:00
Finish Time: 21:00

Taj Mahal Palace & Tower
Apollo Bunder
Mumbai
400 001
India

Anybody dropping there ?

2 comments:

shubha b said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
shubha b said...

food for thought! think i am sailing in the same boat