Wednesday 13 June, 2007

Post MBA Career Options

In this post, I am going to brainstorm my post-MBA career options.

To state in one line, I am doing MBA to broaden the career opportunities available.

I have technical degree in Comp Sc / IT and 5 years of work-ex in Financial Software. I want to opt for Finance concentration during my MBA.

Three main categories of employers employ MBA's in huge numbers. I have opportunity to work in each of them considering my background and future plans:

1) Finance :

Even pre-MBA, I have background in finance. Yeah, I mean some coursework.

- NCFM Capital Markets & Derivatives - (NSE's Certification in Financial Markets)
- Investment Banking Foundation Program ( Conducted by I-Flex Solutions)
- I am also pursuing 6 months Post Graduate Diploma in Forex and Risk Management offered by World Trade Center (Mumbai)

In addition, books such as Monkey Business, Liar's Poker, Barbarians at the Gate,
Random Walk down the wall street offered good insight into various careers in finance and business life.

Although I have some background in finance, I do not have professional work experience in that area. So, if i get into finance that is going to be complete career switch.

For this career switch following things are must:

1) Top 15-20 MBA program in US.
2) Securing very good internship.
3) 2 year program.

Various career options in finance are:

(i) Hedge Funds & Private Equity :
- These industries are very tough to get in.
- Hires few candidates at B-school compared to I-Banking
- Not open to career switchers.
- In summary, this would be great but chances are slim.
- Jobs in HF and PE really pay well and employees report higher satisfaction levels.

(ii) Venture Capital:
- VC is also not very open to career switchers.
- But I believe I can do good in assessing business ventures in high-tech space.
- Recruit very less and very high competition for jobs.

(iii) Investment Management:
- Has similar advantages / disadvantages as category (i)
- Variable pay (In bull market swing you get paid well, in bear market you may get laid off)

(iv) Investment Banking: (Corporate Finance Associate, Sales & Trading ,Equity Research)
- Lot of Grunt work..Excel Sheets filled with models, Creating Pitch Books, Most of the times adjusted valuations to gain business.
- Long hours around 80-100 hours / week.
- Pay is good overall but hourly pay is really turns out not so good.
- Thrill of making deals...
- 2-3 years of work ex in S & T, Equity Research can give you openings in Hedge Funds and Investment Management.
- 2-3 years of work ex in M&A can give openings in Private Equity.
- Advantage is they hire in bulk @ B-School campus.
- Open to Career Switchers.

2) Technology :

Most importantly, careers in this space will utilize my 5 years of pre-MBA work experience. I will be career advancer.

Following are the critical factors :

1) 1 year MBA is sufficient.
2) Reputed but non-top 20 school is sufficient.(Purdue /UT-Austin McCombs / Texas A&M ) with some financial aid.
3) I will be highly competitive in job market since I have relevant professional work experience.
4) Good Work life balance.

In short, this investment is low risk moderate to high return.

Following are the career options available :

(i) Product Management :

I have worked predominantly with product companies. NSE.IT, I-Flex, their parent company Oracle. This all will come handy.

I am not much looking into this option very seriously. Microsoft, Oracle, Google, Yahoo etc recruit lot of MBAs in product manager's position.


(ii) IT Strategic Consulting :

Lot of traditionally MC Companies have ventured into IT Strategic Consulting specializing in ROI, business value of IT, and risk management. e.g. Accenture, Mckinsey, Bain , Deloitte & Touche.

I can work in Financial Services Practice lines. Finance and Telecom industries are the highest spenders on IT.

In long term one can get in to CIO / CTO path easily.



3) Management (Strategic) Consulting:

I have not been thinking about this career option. But I believe to get into strategic consulting no specific background is required.

At entry level it might be necessary to get MBA from top 15-20. But it is certaily possible to switch to MC at any time even after working in IB for 2-3 years or in IT Strategic Consulting.

Following are the key factors you need to have :

1) Problem Solving skills
2) people skills / communication skills
3) Ability to think on your feet
4) Presentation skills.

No intention to offend, but Management consultants are jack of all trades...
Some good books that give insight into MC are : Mckinsey Mind , Mckinsey Way

Mostly, strategic consultants take route to entrepreneurship in long term.

Cheers...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

A damn informative post that was :-)

Cheers !!!

shubha b said...

an excellent post.. provided the precise information i was looking for. thank you :)

shubha b said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I too think this is a fantastic post ... very informative

Ujjaval Gupta said...

Very informative indeed.. Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You re, I guess , perhaps curious to know how one can make real money .
There is no initial capital needed You may start to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with structures around the world.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your chance That`s what you wish in the long run!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a correct partner utilizes your funds in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://valutucip.freecities.com/uguvaf.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to become rich

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You re, I guess , probably curious to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no initial capital needed You may start to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your choice That`s what you desire!

I feel good, I began to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a correct partner utilizes your money in a right way - that`s it!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://vodiwaxi.lookseekpages.com/ykovuh.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to become rich

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
might , perhaps very interested to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I started to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a correct companion utilizes your funds in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://hinizihazu.lookseekpages.com/kolaci.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You re, I guess , perhaps curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no initial capital needed You may begin to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
AimTrust incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I started to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a proper partner utilizes your funds in a right way - that`s it!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://umebisepuh.freecities.com/ukyfake.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of hardship when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright pessimistic person.
I have never imagined that there weren't any need in big initial investment.
Nowadays, I feel good, I started to get real money.
It's all about how to select a proper partner who utilizes your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real business, and shares the income with me.

You can ask, if there are such firms? I have to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
http://theblogmoney.com

Anonymous said...

Hello!
You may probably be very curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields on investments.
There is no initial capital needed.
You may commense earning with a money that usually is spent
for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one project for several years,
and I'll be glad to let you know my secrets at my blog.

Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I make 1000-2000 per daily now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]