Saturday 4 August, 2007

Few Random thoughts...

On friday, I went to US consulate for H1B interview. My visa got approved in 2-3 minute interview. Since the time visa processing started, my focus on applications and MBA is slightly getting diverted.

I never had a doubt about whether to do MBA. For me,a person from middle class background, money is important and can not be ignored. H1 B is giving me opportunity to earn huge and will let me save good amount of $$ for MBA. This will reduce the debt in great deal once I start MBA. Even in IT people from similar background as mine were hired by investment banks like Merryl Lynch, Goldman, CSFB at a salary of $100 k +.

Despite of this earning, I know the work profile will more or less remain same. I dont want to move out of IT or technology field completely even post MBA. I would prefer to get into business development in IT or IT Strategy Consulting. Since I dont want to change my career completely, some additional work experience might be helpful too.

There are some downsides too. I may get addicted to the life in the US and $$ that I may not get back to studies...I will try hard with strong determination that this will not happen. I will age by one more year. So I will start my MBA at 28 and end when I am 30. Will this be too late??

Whether to do it this year or not in the context of opportunites that I'm getting currently and my future goals is very very tough decision.

Lot of these thoughts are coming in my way of writing good quality essays...:(
Today, after posting some of these things out here my mind has become free.

7 comments:

Dreamer said...

hi Charu...

decision is urs... both look fine... my opinion would be to sit back take deep breath and decide as soon as possible... in any case don't go and write essays with split mind..

thanks for ur comment in my blog... do let me know when u find the zillion dollar solution to the million dollar problem :)

Chaos said...

Hey charu- yeah i am working on that toughest part. where are you staying in mumbai. am put up at powai. drop me a mail at anu_krishan@yahoo.com

Charu said...

@chaos,
i have added u to yahoo messenger..lets be in touch


@dreamer,
completely agree with you !! i have to clear my mind first..and i am working on that.

Anonymous said...

Hey Charu,
Reading ur blog felt like reading what exactly I am going through right now. M in a great fix too. In addition, I have taken my gmat too and have scored 730. Would love to know if u got some solution..

Anjali

seagull said...

Hi Charu;

I second dreamer; writing an essay with your mind not made up would not be a good idea. My 2 cents, I came to US a couple of years back. FOr me, the experience has been rewarding; I have bee able to learn a lot -- personally and professionally. And I am sure the international exposure would stand you ( and me!! ) good stead in your MBA admissions as well :-)

Hope you find your way. The solution will always lie within you.

Cheers,
Seagull

Janet Nakano said...

Hi Charu,
Waiting one year would not be too late by any means. The average age at many of these bschools is right around 28-29, so you'll fit right in. The added international experience is also a great addition to your application package. But having said that, you could apply this year, see what happens, and make your decision in the spring (or when you find out). Maybe by next year, you'll be ready to get that MBA.
Best of luck,
Janet

Charu said...

@Anjali - I would very soon post regarding my plans.

@Segull, good to see you back in action... and yeah even i'm hoping that international work ex..

@Janet..that was really useful advice..thank u very much...i'm actually thinking of applying to 2-3 colleges...might be in round 2